Steve Backs Calls to Help Squeezed Middle(March 31, 2012)
Liverpool Walton MP, Steve Rotheram, has backed plans to protect family budgets.
The Labour MP said, said, “The Conservative Party will have you believe that it’s impossible to help the squeezed middle when times are tough. They blame the Labour Party for the country’s economic ills, which in essence is the same as blaming doctors, nurses, teachers and firefighters for the collapse of US banking giant, Lehman Brothers. It is nonsense.
“The Labour Party’s family budget action plan shows it’s possible to make a real difference for pensioners, for hard-working families, for young people, even when there is less money around.
"These are measures that do not require extra spending. But they do require a different set of priorities, different values, a government that is on your side, and sometimes the courage to take on powerful and well-financed organisations, which will not like it.
“The Five steps to our plan are:
- Stop the Government’s raid on pensioners and block its £40,000 tax cut to 14,000 millionaire
- End rail rip-offs by capping fares increases on every route
- Force the energy firms to cut gas and electricity bills for 4 million over-75s
- Stop excessive fees charged by banks and low cost airlines
- Defend working families from the raid on their tax credits by reversing the Government’s pension tax break for those earning over £150,000
Steve concluded, “I am determined to help ordinary families in Walton through these tough times. It is vital that they know there is a political party locally and nationally, that is prepared to speak up for them and not let our towns be ravished by poverty and crime.”