Steve Backs Labour's Camapign to Give Veterans Rail Discount(June 30, 2013)
Ahead of Armed Forces Day this weekend, Walton MP Steve Rotheram has called on train operating companies to look into extending concessionary travel for the Armed Forces to UK veterans.
Steve explained, “The Government has fallen short and now Labour believes concessionary travel should be provided to all who have served their country.
“Currently the HM Forces Railcard saves service personnel a third on rail fares. Labour is proposing this is extended to the 332,826 veterans who are on the Armed Forces Pension Scheme.
“This would have no cost to the public purse as the HM Forces Railcard is a concession granted by the Association of Train Operating Companies Train Operating Companies.
“In 2011-12 train operating company income was £305m more than their expenditure. Labour believes it is right that a small proportion of these profits are used to support those who serve in the name of national security.
“This would be a meaningful move to support those who have given so much to our country. Service personnel’s struggles and sacrifices often do not end when they leave the battlefield.
“Government must work with business to ensure there is lifelong support for those who serve their nation, which is why it is right that train companies pay a small portion of their profit to extend concessions to veterans.”
Facts and figures
- 71,980 members of HM Forces use the HM Forces Railcard
- 332,826 veterans are on the Armed Forces Pension Scheme
Background on HM Forces Railcard
- HM Forces Railcard costs £15 saves 1/3 on most rail fares throughout Great Britain for a year. Members of the Regular Forces and their spouses are eligible.
- HM Forces Railcard can be used anytime on weekends, Public Holidays and during the week. The only restriction is that if you travel before 10am Monday to Friday (except during July and August) a minimum fare will apply. The railcard can be used for non-duty (leisure) travel only.
- Further background on the HM Forces Railcard can be found here: http://www.hmforces-railcard.co.uk/what-is-the-hm-forces-railcard